AGE: +12 months
POUCH PORTIONS: 6 pouches
- 200g (7oz) pumpkin, skin removed and chopped
- 100g (3½ oz) chickpeas, dried or tinned
- 3 tablespoons baby rice cereal (eg. Farex)
- A few drops olive oil
- grated parmesan cheese to taste
- water (as needed)
- If using tinned chickpeas – just rise thoroughly.
- If using dried chickpeas – soak overnight then boil for 90 minutes, or until soft
- Steam your chopped pumpkin for 15 minutes
- Blend pumpkin and chickpeas with some water (as needed)
- Place purée in a saucepan and add the rice cereal
- Bring to the boil, adding water if required
- Add some olive oil and parmesan cheese.
- The iron, phosphate, calcium, magnesium, manganese, zinc and vitamin K in chickpeas all contribute to building and maintaining bone structure and strength. In particular, a good intake of vitamin K is associated with a reduced risk of bone fractures.
- The choline in chickpeas helps with sleep, muscle movement, learning, and memory. Choline also helps to maintain the structure of cellular membranes and aids in the transmission of nerve impulses.
- Because of their high fibre content, chickpeas help to prevent constipation and promote regularity for a healthful digestive tract – perfect for a kids’ lunchbox!
- Pumpkin is rich in fibre and very filling, which makes it an ideal choice for hungry kids!